1. Entertain guests often
  2. Care for your elderly parents
  3. Buy gifts for people
  4. Have your cuboards stocked with beverages
  5. Dry your wrinkly clothes in the dryer for a
    couple a minutes than hang them up, still damp
  6. Visit the sick and the widows
  7. Make your mashed potatoes a day ahead
  8. Read to your children
  9. Volunteer
  10. Dance in the kitchen

circa 2009 when Madi was born

My mom is the “giving-est” person I
know.  I grew up hearing from my friends “Your
mom is so cool.”  I didn’t really
appreciate her “coolness” at the time,(and I never told her my friends said
that) but the older I grow, the more I aspire to be like her.

She is a server who jumps up and gives food and drink to people in her
home.  Often her spare bedroom is full
with this out-of-town guest, or that missionary family.  She is the one who whips together a meal, and
I wonder how she does it all.  When we
visit her home in Ohio, early Sunday morning I can hear her footsteps pounding
upstairs in the kitchen while I lazily stay in bed.  (I’m sure her heart is brimming with pride as
her grown-up daughter reverts to a spoiled teenager whenever we visit)

When my sister brought a family home from Wal Mart (true story: She met
strangers at Wal Mart and brought them home with her) Mom opened up her home
for a week.

I don’t remember her being sick.  I don’t
remember her being down or depressed.  She
has a penchant for volunteering.  When I
was young I used to go with her as she drove people to doctors appointments,
grocery stores, and whatnot.

I remember last Mother’s Day something happened that stuck in my mind.  The family was together, but something happened (don’t remember what) that mom had to pack up in middle of our “celebration of her” (which was Sunday Dinner, and at most, a hanging plant or filled cake from Litty’s) and go take
care of her own mother or Mom-in-law.
And I thought: the cycle never
ends does it.  This motherhood thing, you
give to your own kids, and when they are grown you give to your parents

That’s what I’m learning from my mom, to keep going. And to keep giving.

So now I’m trying to wrap this up and realizing, how impossible it is to nail a
person down in a post.  I know her well
enough to know that she doesn’t take herself so seriously to get her panties
all in a twist about how she is portrayed.
I know she is now blushing and clucking her tongue over my language
choice. (Don’t worry Mom, I didn’t learn that
from you)

Love You!
Your Daughter
Andrea
(the one who always painted her toenails)

18 thoughts on “Stuff I learned from my Mom

1. Hutch5 says:

very sweet andrea~ your mom sounds like someone we could ALL learn from! happy mothers day to you both!

2. redladybug18 says:

Such a wonderful post about your mom. She sounds like an awesome one!Happy Mother’s day!

3. quiet_hearts says:

You posted.  YAy!!  And I know I’m a bug.  But I’m not really very sorry.    /And I also know you didn’t post because I told you to twice.  Because you are not that kind of person.Your mom is so slim and pretty.  And she sounds very much like my own mom.  You know what jumped out at me?  The part about her not being down and depressed.  All I can pray is that my children will forget certain parts of their childhoods….And that whole servant thing?  How DO they keep it all together?  I just love my mom for the good example she was to me.  Do you know how blessed we are?Love your wrap up.

4. What a Beautiful post!!! Your mom will love and appreciate reading this.Sounds like she is a wonderful woman. =)Happy Mother’s Day to you.

5. nov_way says:

This is such a lovely post! =DAnd I believe I learned a thing or two, at least. So thank you!

6. I bet you just sit back and wonder how in the world she can pull it all off!SO sweet of you to honor her in this way

7. we5kings says:

Your just as amazing as your mom – just in a different way 🙂  I remember thinking your Mom was cool – and I wasnt even at your house that much! Happy Mothers Day to you!

8. Randy7777 says:

good tribute to your mom

9. umm… what about covering your knees? or cleaning out your fridge? ha! i love your mama! she will always have a special place in my heart!great post!

10. jostoltz says:

yep your mom is pretty cool!  The only person in the world that chooses to call me Joey!  And i’m sure she proudly calls you her daughter!

11. god_stories says:

Love #10 and just trying to imagine what kind of dance the peaceful woman holding your baby in the picture might do?…ballet, break dance…maybe not, but certainly graceful and grace-filled.Happy Mother’s day!

12. madisonsmom2 says:

I always liked your mom, she is so friendly! Where would we be without the mom’s we were blessed with?  (I do the same thing mornings when we go to mom’s) 🙂

13. clearlyhis says:

This post for your  mom is beautiful, as is she!  I don’t know your mom well, but what I do see in her matches what you wrote.  I have a wonderfully good mom too, but this makes me want to sit over coffee with her and learn from her…..on the point about n.e.v.e.r. being down.  How??  Are you serious that you never ever saw her down or discouraged? Love the “dance in the kitchen” point.  And, YES on the “reverting to teenager” when home! lol!

14. richlyblest says:

enjoyed this, andrea! your mom really does sound “cool”!

15. m2coblentz says:

Love it! I know Elsie better then your mom and as I was reading it kept thinking “this sounds just like Elsie”.  2 amazing sisters! (In my head I always want to be like her!)Enjoy acting like a spoiled teenager when you get the chance – I am sure she loves it!

16. Sharejoy says:

Amen. Laughed and cried at this one.

17. I didn’t get a chance to comment when I read it the first time, but I really loved this post! My mom is my best friend and I love hearing about how much someone else also loves and respects their mom…

18. appalolly says:

That attitude of helping others and volunteering and opening up her home to strangers, etc…I want my children to remember that about me. So I guess I better start doing more of that kind of thing!

I would love your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s